Free Will Is Real, But Not So Simple [CAPC]

11:12 AM James 0 Comments

The free will debate is one of those issues that feels a bit worn out to me; it seems no one is saying anything new. But people can say old things in new, more interesting ways. Social psychologist Roy F. Baumeister has done that. He’s written an excellent article in Slate, in which he argues both that we have free will and that our ability to make choices does not violate any laws of nature. That’s a fairly unpopular thing to say these days. By doing so, Baumeister is going against the current trend of fashionable thought, which I find quite refreshing. Baumeister affirms the common sense view of free will, while also attempting to show there is no incompatibility with his view and science. I appreciate that kind of holistic, interdisciplinary way of thinking. And while I don’t agree with everything he says, I do think his article is full of insight and wisdom that Christians (and anyone, really) can learn from.  Read the rest of my analysis over at Christ and Pop Culture.

*If you like this article, please consider supporting my writing by becoming a patron, and get cool rewards in return.

0 comments :